RCadvisor.com blog
Joined-Wing Zaggis
  • In order to learn more about CG/ NP/ AC on flying wings, I started building/flying Zagis
    My -stock- 1999 Combat -LE was re-build , and it is flying great at 16, 3 onz
    Then I build this Blue/yellow  experimental glider, which also flies good enough at 19 onz., at higher winds conditions
    ...I still need to learn how to fly them good !

The real motivation , is to re-designing a stock planform Zagi to a joined-wing Zaggi.
    ...some may say, that they are top-wing strut-braced ....yes they fit that description.

So, I started with this smaller, simple test balsa gliders

They both fly  .  BTW  this are my models num 101 and  102

The real trick it to -find - the CG at 2 to 5% from the NP ( or is it more ? )
    and that depends on where and how the geometries , of the aft wing(s)
    are located , there for the different aft wings , to test which is better.

Comments are welcome.

Thanks   Alex
  • This is a great project. Please keep us updated on its progress.

How do you plan to compute the location of the neutral point (NP)? Using the average quarter chord position will be wrong on a model with this much sweep. it is further back than that.

Like I recommended in my article, I would fly it knowing that it is nose heavy. Easier to inch the CG back than to have to move it forward!

Carlos
  • With time and handwork, more models are made to explore JW/ flying wing aerodynamics.

This Flat plate wing , was inicially build as a JW, but it was clear that it had -drag- in that
    aft thin struts.  hard to trim   NP to far aft of the CG ?

This non-estructural strut, where used to see how it would fly, with them, and with-out them.
    10 grams (clean)     72 cm span.

With out the struts, it flies great , as a flying wing should !
    model 103

leasons learn ...
  • Interesting. Maybe try giving the strut a lot of forward sweep?

There is an old saying with flying wings. The more nose heavy they are, the better the handling qualities. But if you want performance, keep the CG back!

Carlos
  • ...another Zagi to experiment with wing tip airflows ( washouts and top fence )
    at 7,5 onz it flies very good in low to mid wind conditions ( ridge soaring )
    This  is my first white foam hot-wire-cut glider   ...great way to build wings !
    and another Joined wing glider ( J-5 type), soon to be flight tested ...

• Two more great looking models. Thanks for sharing.

Carlos
  • I have been working on a design of my own and have explored joined wings however my design is a c-wing of which I can find little information on as far as models are concerned. I plan to have all flying ruddervators controlled by r/c but have no experience in such servos and power supply. Any help would be appreciated.
  • I would imagine it is not too different from building an all-flying tail model?
  • Indeed, but just wondered how someone with experience would link pitch and roll control to one output, while getting the right combination of compatible electronics for a scratch built project.

• Flaperon and elevon mixing functions are standard on all mid-range radio systems nowadays. The better radio systems have programmable mixes, which can be used to meet just about any need that you may have.

Just don't ask me how to program your radio to do that! I have yet to come across a truly easy to program transmitter.

• Thanks for your advice, I think I need to find some radio gear before I start building at full size. So far I have only flown an indoor model, but at only 500mm wingspan it flew very well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion